As promised in Post #1, I am going to back track and fill ya in on painting and flooring the old gal (I reeeeeally need to come up with a cute name for her.). But first, let me tell ya a little bit about her. She was born in 1990 and we are the 4th owner. The interior was in immaculate original condition. But even if I wanted to keep her original, I wouldn’t be able to.

The looks aren’t the big problem anyway; it’s the layout. I mean, come on! Four people (& 2 dogs) live in here. As an empty shell (no walls, no nothing), it’s only 240 square feet. Yeah, some of you have bathrooms bigger than that! For fun, here’s ours…

2015-12-14 09.50.59

I’ll give y’all some fun inspiration photos I’m drooling over later, but for now you can just imagine for yourself. : )  Now that you’ve had a proper introduction, let’s get started on paint. I wanted to do that first for obvious reasons–I didn’t wanna splatter paint all over my pretty new floors!

The first step was to remove the fabric panels from the walls. Why on earth they thought it was a good idea to put those in I do not know. They were under all of the windows. Well, here’s something you need to know about Airstreams and windows: Airstreams are airtight (when properly caulked). They really were well designed.

However, as is the case in any small space, condensation builds up quickly. We did not give this concept a single thought, sooooo after the first week we had water overfilling our window channels and running down the walls. Guess where it went. Yup, the fabric panels. Ewwwww!!

20151201_173634

The next step was to get a dehumidifier and remove all of the curtains and their tracks. I’m sorry I have no photos of these steps. Again, got way too excited…to rid our new home of mold and mildew. And again, ewwwww!! I used Kaboom Mold and Mildew Stain Remover with Bleach (bought it at Lowe’s…surprise) and scrubbed down all of the walls. I was so grossed out that I actually have a photo of this. I had to send it to the hubby. HeHe!

Moving right along, Scott went over all the empty holes (from the things I removed) with sandpaper. This helped a lot because you have to remember that our walls are aluminum. When the holes stick out, they’re sharp! I then filled the holes with just a regular silicone caulk because I knew you’d still be able to see them regardless. Let’s face it. This is an Airstream and the walls are panels of aluminum covered in vinyl and affixed with rivets. So yeah, I’m not about to try and make those hundred+ holes disappear. Bigger fish to fry and all that jazz.

Sidenote: Turns out when I first drafted this post, it was twice this long and that’s no fun so I decided to break it into two posts. Next up will be floors. Uneven, trying to rot floors=bigger fish. But for now, let’s finish up with the paint job.

Once the walls were scrubbed clean and the holes were filled, I covered everything in Zinsser Mold Killing Primer…bought it at Lowe’s for about $30.

Last but not least, I applied Sherwin Williams Stone Isle latex paint in Satin as my top coat. It took two coats to achieve full coverage. Bleh. But it’s a whole lot better than the yellow vinyl walls we started with! Ignore the end cap for now.

Because of that vinyl, though, there is a texture to the paint that I LOVE! It reminds me of like a seagrass wallpaper covering (which I always wanted to buy for our old house in a small area like a closet or powder room). I was actually scared that rolling the paint would eliminate the texture. It didn’t! Just wish I’d known that BEFORE I painted the entire primer coat by brush.

2015-12-15 19.28.02

 

Can ya see it ever so slightly? I still have to learn an effective way for repairing the cracks in the plastic endcaps and paint them…

20151215_192838.jpg

…and I have to decide whether to blend the window frames into the wall color or paint them white.

20151208_011245

What do you think? The window set on the right is the same color as the wall and the bottom window of the left set is just primer but it gives somewhat of an idea of what it’d look like in white. Other than that, the painting is done in the front half of the rv. Next up, floor prep. Woo.

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s